Best greenhouse company in Kenya.
Greenhouse construction in Kenya . Greenhouse are an essential part of modern farming in Kenya, providing a controlled environment for crops to grow in. With the right greenhouse construction, farmers can achieve higher yields, better quality crops, and even grow crops all year round. Whether you’re looking for used greenhouses for sale in Kenya, affordable greenhouse prices, or customized greenhouse sizes, there are plenty of options available to meet your specific needs.
At HortiTechno, we specialize in greenhouse construction in Kenya, offering a range of high-quality, affordable solutions for farmers across the country. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at greenhouse construction in Kenya, the different types of greenhouses available, and what to consider when choosing a greenhouse.
Types of Greenhouses
Before we dive into greenhouse construction, it’s important to understand the different types of greenhouses available in Kenya. Here are some of the most common types:
- Polythene Greenhouses: Polythene greenhouses are the most common type of greenhouse in Kenya. They are affordable, easy to construct, and can be customized to fit different sizes and shapes. Polythene greenhouses are typically used for growing vegetables, fruits, and flowers.
- Glass Greenhouses: Glass greenhouses are more expensive than polythene greenhouses but offer better insulation and durability. They are ideal for growing high-value crops such as cut flowers and herbs.
- Net Houses: Net houses are a type of greenhouse that uses a mesh netting instead of polythene or glass. They are affordable and provide protection from pests and harsh weather conditions.
- Shade Houses: Shade houses are used for growing crops that require partial shade, such as flowers, seedlings, and ornamental plants. They are made of shade cloth material and are typically less expensive than other types of greenhouses.
Greenhouse Construction in Kenya
Now that you understand the different types of greenhouses available in Kenya, let’s take a closer look at greenhouse construction. Here are some of the most important considerations when building a greenhouse:
- Site Selection: The first step in greenhouse construction is choosing the right site. The site should have good drainage, be level, and receive ample sunlight throughout the day.
- Greenhouse Design: Once you’ve selected the site, you’ll need to design your greenhouse. Consider the type of crops you’ll be growing, the size of the greenhouse, and your budget when choosing a design.
- Foundation: A solid foundation is essential for a sturdy greenhouse. Depending on the type of greenhouse, the foundation may be made of concrete, wood, or other materials.
- Framing: The framing of the greenhouse is what supports the structure. The framing can be made of wood, metal, or PVC depending on the design.
- Covering: The covering of the greenhouse is what protects the crops from the elements. The covering can be made of polythene, glass, or netting depending on the type of greenhouse.
- Ventilation: Proper ventilation is essential for a healthy greenhouse environment. Consider adding ventilation windows, fans, or other systems to control temperature and humidity levels.
- Irrigation: An irrigation system is necessary for supplying water to the crops. Consider adding a drip or sprinkler system to ensure that the crops receive the right amount of water.
Affordable Greenhouses in Kenya
At HortiTechno, we understand the importance of affordable greenhouses in Kenya. That’s why we offer a range of solutions that fit different budgets and needs. Whether you’re looking for used greenhouses for sale in Kenya or custom sizes, we have the expertise and experience to provide the best possible solutions.
Affordable Greenhouses in Kenya
When it comes to greenhouse construction, cost is a major factor to consider. Fortunately, in Kenya, there are affordable greenhouses available that still offer high-quality construction and durability. These affordable greenhouses are ideal for farmers who want to invest in protected agriculture without breaking the bank. Here are some of the factors that contribute to the affordability of greenhouses in Kenya:
Local Materials: Most of the materials used in the construction of greenhouses in Kenya are sourced locally, which helps to keep the cost down. This includes materials like timber, metal pipes, and greenhouse films.
Simple Design: Many affordable greenhouses in Kenya have a simple design, which helps to reduce the cost of construction. These greenhouses may have a basic structure with minimal added features such as ventilation systems.
Standardized Sizes: Standardized greenhouse sizes are also available in Kenya, which helps to streamline the construction process and reduce costs. These standard sizes may include 8m x 15m, 8m x 30m, and 8m x 60m.
Greenhouse Prices in Kenya
The price of a greenhouse in Kenya can vary depending on several factors such as size, design, and materials used. Generally, the larger the greenhouse, the more expensive it will be. Additionally, greenhouses with more features such as automated irrigation systems and advanced ventilation will also cost more.
On average, the cost of a greenhouse in Kenya can range from KSh 70,000 ($650 USD) to KSh 600,000 ($5,500 USD). It’s important to keep in mind that the cost of the greenhouse is just one aspect of the overall investment in protected agriculture. Other factors to consider include the cost of irrigation systems, heating and cooling equipment, and ongoing maintenance costs.
Greenhouse Sizes in Kenya
Greenhouses in Kenya come in a variety of sizes to accommodate different needs and preferences. The size of the greenhouse you choose will depend on factors such as the amount of land available, the type of crops you want to grow, and your budget. Here are some of the common greenhouse sizes available in Kenya:
- Small Greenhouses: These are typically 6m x 10m or 8m x 15m in size and are suitable for small-scale farmers who want to grow vegetables or herbs.
- Medium-Sized Greenhouses: These are typically 8m x 30m or 10m x 30m in size and are suitable for farmers who want to grow crops on a slightly larger scale.
- Large Greenhouses: These are typically 8m x 60m or 10m x 60m in size and are suitable for commercial farmers who want to grow crops on a large scale.
How much does it cost to construct a greenhouse in Kenya?
The cost of constructing a greenhouse in Kenya depends on various factors such as the size of the greenhouse, the materials used, and the location. On average, the cost can range from Ksh 50,000 to Ksh 5,000,000. It is important to consult with a greenhouse construction expert to get a more accurate estimate based on your specific needs and requirements.
Is greenhouse profitable in Kenya?
Yes, greenhouse farming can be profitable in Kenya. With a well-managed greenhouse, farmers can achieve higher yields and earn higher profits compared to traditional farming methods. Greenhouses allow farmers to control the growing environment, including temperature, humidity, and light, which can improve crop quality and quantity. Additionally, with the high demand for fresh produce in the Kenyan market, farmers can sell their greenhouse produce at premium prices. However, the profitability of a greenhouse will depend on various factors such as the cost of inputs, crop selection, market demand, and management practices.
What are the most profitable greenhouse crops in Kenya?
There are several profitable crops that can be grown in a greenhouse in Kenya, depending on market demand and climatic conditions. Here are some examples:
Tomatoes: This is one of the most profitable greenhouse crops in Kenya due to its high demand in local and export markets.
Capsicums: Also known as bell peppers or pilipili hoho, capsicums are another profitable crop in Kenya that thrives well in greenhouse conditions.
Cucumbers: Cucumbers are also high-value crops that are well-suited for greenhouse cultivation. They have a short growing cycle and high yields.
Lettuce: With the increasing demand for fresh salads in Kenya, lettuce is becoming an increasingly profitable crop to grow in greenhouses.
Strawberries: Although strawberries are a bit challenging to grow in greenhouses, they can be a highly profitable crop with the right conditions and management.
Overall, the profitability of greenhouse crops in Kenya depends on several factors such as market demand, production costs, and climatic conditions. It is important to conduct proper research and seek advice from experts before making a decision on what to grow..
How much is greenhouse polythene in Kenya?
The cost of greenhouse polythene in Kenya varies depending on the thickness, UV stability, and size of the polythene sheet. On average, a 200-micron UV-stabilized greenhouse polythene sheet measuring 1m x 1m costs around Kshs 100. Thicker polythene sheets with higher UV stability will cost more, while smaller sheets will cost less. It’s always advisable to buy from reputable suppliers to ensure the quality of the polythene